Thursday 3 April 2014

USE OF ENGLISH: Paper 3, Part 4


Use of English: Paper 3, Part 4

 

Complete the second sentences with three to eight words so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given.

                  

1- We sometimes argue, but I get on well with him most of the time.

usually

Despite …………………………………………………………….......... get on well with him.

 

2- My friends are the most important thing in my life.

mean

My friends …………………………………………………………….......... else.

 

3- I only just managed to win the race.

close

I won the race, …………………………………………………………….......... thing.

 

4- There’s been a great improvement in Hannah’s relationship with her sister.

leaps

Hannah’s relationship with her sister …………………………………………………………….......... bounds.

 

5- That is the most outrageous suggestion I’ve ever heard!

outrageous

I’ve …………………………………………………………….......... life.

 

6- No-one could deny that he had won all the international competitions.

undisputed

He was …………………………………………………………….......... world.

 

7- The music was so loud that she couldn’t understand what he was saying.

make

She couldn’t …………………………………………………………….......... the loud music.

 

8- The opinion of the parents often has less effect on children as they grow older.

parental

As children grow older, …………………………………………………………….......... to decline.

 

9- It would have been a disaster for him to be made responsible.

put

If he …………………………………………………………….......... would have been serious consequences.

 

10- I think it would be better to get on as fast as possible.

much

I’d prefer us …………………………………………………………….......... progress as we can.

 

11- I wish he would learn to make his own breakfast.

high

It’s …………………………………………………………….......... for himself.

 

12- If only I had travelled more widely when I had the chance.

taken

I wish …………………………………………………………….......... more widely.

 

13- I feel I must say how worried I am about the proposed changes.

concern

I wish …………………………………………………………….......... over the proposed changes.

 

14- She thinks it would be better if he discovered the answer for himself.

found

She’d prefer …………………………………………………………….......... for himself.

 

15- I’d be happier if you kept it a secret.

rather

I’d …………………………………………………………….......... anyone.

 

16- I’d prefer to be given the chance to work with other people.

allowed

I think it would be better …………………………………………………………….......... a team.

 

KEY

1- Despite (our) occasional arguments, I usually get on well with him.

2- My friends mean more to me than anything else.

3- I won the race, but it was a close thing.

4- Hana’s relationship with her sister has improved by leaps and bounds.

5- I’ve never heard such an outrageous suggestion in my life!

6- He was the undisputed champion of the world.

7- She couldn’t make out what he was saying above the loud music.

8- As children grow older, parental influence tends to decline.

9- If he had been put in charge, there would have been serious consequences.

10- I’d prefer us to make as much progress as we can.

11- It’s high time he learned he learned to make breakfast for himself.

12- I wish I had taken the chance to travel more widely.

13- I wish to express/voice my concern over the proposed changes.

14- She’d prefer it if he found the answer for himself.

15- I’d rather you didn’t tell anyone.

16- think it would be better if I were/was allowed to work in a team.

 

 

 

GLOSSARY:

 

- by/in leaps and bounds: (idiom) If someone or something gets better by/in leaps and bounds, they improve very quickly. E.g.: Her Spanish has come on (= improved) in leaps and bounds this year.

- get on: (phrasal verb) to manage or deal with a situation, especially successfully: How are you getting on in your new home? We're getting on quite well with the decorating.

- make sth/sb out: (phrasal verb) to deal with a situation, usually in a successful way. E.g.: How is Frances making out in her new job? The business made out better than expected and profits were slightly up.

- outrageous: (adj) shocking and morally unacceptable. E.g.: The judge criticized the "outrageous greed" of some of the bankers. [+ that] It is outrageous that these buildings remain empty while thousands of people have no homes. These prices are just outrageous (= much too high). describes something or someone that is shocking because they are unusual or strange: outrageous clothes/behaviour an outrageous character.

 
REFERENCES:
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press. Available on < http://dictionary.cambridge.org/>
NEWBROOK, Jacky; WILSON, Judith. New Proficiency Gold coursebook. (new edition for the rvised CPE exam). Longman, 2005.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
    He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw 💯 % sure no site effects with active immune booster

    Email him for you cure
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am really happy for being a normal human being again after taking the herbal medicine of dr Eromosele the herbalist. i never believe that my GENITAL HERPES can be cure again until i visit Dr Eromosele for help, he gave me his herbal medicine that cure me after 14 days, i am really happy and i am short of words, please you all should help me thank him for what he has done for me, i receive the herbal medicine through ups courier, i am now a normal human being and i am getting married next month. please you all should contact him through his email if you are a patient of GENITAL HERPES. here is his email address: dreromosele156@gmall.com or you can contact him through whatsApp; +2348075799423

    ReplyDelete